Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Words of inspiration : Is it a boy or a girl? Baby's gender and a little girl's wish!

                                                    ~The story of a little girl's wish for a little sister~


Back in December 2010 we were having dinner at some friends who just had their second daughter! The baby was just 1-2weeks old, and their older girl, less than 2 years old had just returned from a trip from overseas! It was our first time to meet their toddler and newborn girls!

My daughter was fascinated by the baby and enjoying the company of the little girl who have just arrived from a different continent!
While we (the adults) were at the table eating she walked to the table, tapped me on my left arm and told me in tears that she wanted a little sister.
I told her that I would babysit the toddler she just met and she would be her little sister.
When we got home, the children called my mother-in -law and as they were talking my daughter told her grandmother that she now have a little sister.
My mother-in -law asked to talked to me for some explanations! I teased her that I was not hiding any grandchild from her and went on explaining what it was all about!

I started keeping my friend's toddler " Ama" a few times a week and my children were all great big brothers and big sister! Imani my daughter loved her so much; of course children are very smart and we owe them some credits.
 She started complaining that she wanted her own sister and one that would not go back and forth between homes.

I HAD NO INTENTION ON GETTING PREGNANT! ( NOW I AM SO GRATEFUL THAT I AM)

So life went on for me as I watched my children and watched other people having babies around me.
In may of 2011, I attended the baby shower of an high school friend living in Atlanta GA who was expecting a little girl!

I had no idea then that I was pregnant  already and that weeks down the road I would announce to others that I am pregnant.



Funny enough, my sisterfriend in NJ to whom I sent on that day a picture of me at the baby shower told me that " I had a glow"! I had no clue what she was talking about! For the many weeks that followed that same friend would keep questioning some of my behavior and suspect a pregnancy that I was totally denying,  I was so oblivious...

My daughter kept talking about her little sister, then I found out that I was pregnant and my daughter was still talking about her baby sister.

When I mentioned her behavior to my twin sister she said : "Like mother like daughter! You acted the same when you believe God to bless you with a daughter. Now she acts like you as she believes God for a sister!"

The weeks that followed, my daughter would cry if we would try to prepare her for the eventuality of a little brother! She loves all babies. But this girl knows what she wants and when she wants something...(smiles)...some of you parents must know what I am talking about...some kids have a special gift of perseverance!

At times I would have that strong feeling about the baby's gender. I would have some quiet time and right after I would have this strong conviction. I felt that strong conviction the night before my ultrasound!

Each time I would tell my hubby what the baby's gender is he would ask me " how can you be so confident?" and I would tell him: " I just know!" Just like I knew 5 years ago that I would have a daughter way before doing the ultrasound!

So today I got my ultrasound done. The children and I headed back to the hospital and hubby met us there.



 My middle child felt that the morning visit was a waste of his time because we could not do an ultrasound so he 'warned me' that 'this time it better be fun'!  We all stepped into the room and before taking her seat my daughter told the technician " I am having a little sister"!
The lady was amused! We got started with the ultrasound and many goofy comments from the kids and them the techinician said "the baby have girl parts" and she went on to show and explain about the three lines....
Yes girl parts, it's a girl!!!!
Our dear technician was very professional and obviously very patient as she took time to explain things and answer the children's question. She was also pretty entertained by them. At one time she had to pause and laugh silently at something that my middleson had told his dad! (Nothing rude or crazy just funny and unexpected. He is the kind of kids that say things that just make you shake your head! The kind that acts goofy and say some of the most clever things!)

When my hubby realized that the woman was taking a moment to control her discreet laugh he asked me what he had missed! Having kids in an ultrasound is not something you should do all the time! But mine are homeschooled and I felt that it's a great learning experience as well as a great bonding experience!


So...my daughter had her wish! I shared the news right after leaving the doctor's office with a friend in Atl who was extactic and started screaming with excitement and speaking blessings over the baby and I! She had called me in the morning while I was heading to the hospital and we actually talked for a while as I was waiting for my midwife. I told her I would try to get an ultrasound done and she had me promised to give her a call after I found out! Could not do the ultrasound in the morning so my hubby worked it out for an afternoon visit!He knew I was disappointed and did not want to wait another day! (God bless caring men)!


 Upon returning home I also shared it with one of my neighbor who has been my greatest cheerleader! She was anxiously waiting (lol)! I called her on my way home and told her that I would tell her when I see her instead of telling her on the phone! On my way to my afternoon's visit my kids took her and another neighbor some cupcakes they had made. The kids and I promised to get back with them right after the ultrasoundt! I kept my word and visited one right after and she later called the other  friend/neighbor to share the good news!

The other friend/neighbor came by my house hours after with this cute gift below! The baby's first booties! My daughter showed them off to her dad when he came home and said " Look dad that's for my little sister"!

Picture of pink baby girl booties!

each time we would go shopping my daughter would show me cute outfits and say 'Buy this for my little sister" so she was very excited that someone did offer something today to her little sister!
It's a beautiful thing to have loving people around and have a wish ( my daughter's wish) come true! I am so grateful that my daughter was granted the privilege to experience that! She was so convinced that she was having a sister that the ultrasound made no difference for her, but it did for us.

After all the excitement of sharing it with just 6 people I went on with my afternoon...
decorating the cake my oldest son made,


fixing tonight's entree and

feeding baby and I some simple and quick tuna sandwiches ( could not wait till dinner time)!






So all of you who guessed that it would be a girl, great guess! It was actually what I believed too and kept telling my hubby! So that's the second time in a row that  my 'instinct' have proven me right as it relates to pregnancy!

My twin sister was right, my daughter's conviction was no different from mine 5 years ago when I prayed God to bless me with a daughter. Now she's the one whose wish came true fora little sister of her own!

I am grateful! For the experience and for all the angels God is bringing in my life through this journey. The journey continues and I realize that there are more lessons to learn in all that than the outcome of an ultrasound!
What do you think?

Hope this simple story and the illustration of my daughter's confidence would inspire any one of you who dare praying and wishing for something!

For those who believe in God she illustrated so many lessons about the power of words, the power of thinking, the power of intense desire and just not letting go of what she wanted and believed inspite of the odds! I teach my children to pray and tell them to trust God but at the end children seem to be the one showing us HOW to actually trust! Didn't the wise Jesus said that we should have faith like them?

Homeschooling my children and observing them so closely have showed me that though we are responsible for teaching and guiding them, they are themselves amazing and profound teachers! My daughter did not need an ultrasound technician to tell me what she knew! The name Imani means "believe God/faith". She believed God for her own sister and now...little sister is on the way. May God continues to bless my pregnancy and all of you reading those words!


Thanks!


N'na

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations again nna. how great is our God, sing with me how great is our god! imani must be filled with joy. its really a lesson to me to believe when i ask god for things and dont change my mind even down to the last minute,so god really used imani to teach me this. once again i am truly blessed whenever i get the opportunity to come on your blog. thank you so much. i post messages as anonymous, not intentionally but tried to post with my name it wont allow me dont know why. so i'll put my name at the end of the post. hope to eventually meet you someday too. children are truly ministers of god. have a wonderful week. Efa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaayyy!!! I'm so happy for you!! And your daughter got her wish!!! Glad to hear the great news and you look beautiful!!! ((((BIG HUGGS))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Lala Thanks! Indeed Imani got her wish!Big huggs back at you

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Efa Thanks sister it's good to know who you are and ever better to see that Imani's faith left a lesson to encourage you! Have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for dropping by and joining my site. Congratulations on your pregnancy. Reading through your blog makes me want to have another...but my son is 21 so don't think I want to take that road again. I will envy you and all of the little girlie things you will be making, and your daughter is so fortunate to have her very own 'live' little doll to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a great story. Just goes to show...wishes do come true...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Decorating cents. Thanks for paying me a visit as well and for your kind words.
    @ Happily Naptural thanks to you too. I hope this story always reinforce your faith if you ever wish for something.
    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete